TB is no longer at epidemic levels in the Northwest but we are still managing this disease here and in every state across the U.S. It has not gone away.
But TB is at epidemic levels around the globe.
- 1 in 3 people on the planet is infected with TB
- 8.6 million people became ill with TB in 2012
- 1.3 million people still die from TB every year
- No country has ever eliminated this disease
- TB remains one of the world's top infectious killers. About 95% of TB deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries and it is among the top three causes of death among women aged 15 to 44.
(Source: World Health Organization)
Now is the time to combat the TB stigma, fully support persons with TB, and realize the dream of a world without TB.
Listen to the Wisdom of Those Impacted by TB
A sister project of the TB Voices Project is the Tasweer-e-Zindagi (tasweer = picture/photograph, zindagi =life) project in Karachi, Pakistan. All the photos and accompanying stories are from persons participating in their project. Watch their powerful video here.
View their Tasweer-e-zindagi Facebook page.